Sunday, December 14, 2008

Playlist

Here are 10 of my current favourite pieces of music; my version of an iTunes play-list. Most of them I can listen to again and again. In no particular order:

1. 'What Difference Does It Make?' - The Smiths
One of their best songs, showing the perfect mix of elements that made them special. I saw the Smiths play live twice, once at a university gig in Kent when they first made it big, and another at a GLC concert in London when they were at their peak.

2. 'Utru Horas' - Orchestra Baobab
I came across this track searching for some music to play alongside a PowerPoint presentation at Henley. It works so well because it can sit in the foreground and the background.

3. 'Suite for solo Cello No. 1 in G Major - 1 Prelude (Bach)' - Yo-Yo Ma
I really can listen to this short piece over and over again.

4. 'Into My Arms' - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
There are plenty of Nick Cave tracks that I like (love, in fact) and I not only think he is one of the strongest lyricists around but as a live band they are just about the definition of cool. This is one of his quieter tracks - a beautiful love poem.

5. 'Riders on the Storm' - The Doors
I love the polished menace in this song and have been able to listen without tiring of it since I was about 15.

6. 'Paris, Texas' - Ry Cooder
Great film soundtrack.

7. '(Birtwistle's) Girl in A Shop' - The Fall
The fact that I don't usually have a clue what their songs mean doesn't mean that I don't enjoy hearing them again and again. This is my current favourite. I think the John Peel quote, "The Fall - always different, always the same" sums them up.

8. 'Fohat digs holes in Space' - Gong
This is from one of my most treasured LPs, "Camembert Electrique" and is for me the best track on the album,

9. 'There's No End' - Holly Golightly
Lovely, groovy twangy guitars and moody girl vocals.

10. 'Blue 'n' Boogie' - Miles Davies
Made for Sunday listening. Ni-i-i-ce.

2 comments:

Macal009 said...

Hi Chris,

My name is Mac Leauanae and a distant learning student from NZ. I'm currently in the UK and will be meeting with my Tutor tomorrow at 2pm in Henley to review my progress on my dissertation.

I was wondering whether, whilst I'm in the country if we could organise a time to meet. I'm meeting with Nicola Swan in the Blue Room and would love to come around to where you may be located after this meeting to catch up.

Just thought I'd ask whilst I'm in the country.

Thanks, Mac

PS love the blog...

Chris Dalton said...

Hi Mac,

I am around tomorrow, but with a fairly daunting schedule of meetings. I should be able to at least say hello, of course, so will look out for you in the Blue Room.

Chris